Information on State Emergency Management Agencies


September 9, 2005—Nearly all the states belong to EMAC (Emergency Management Assistance Compact) which is an agreement between and among states to provide assistance in the event of a disaster. “EMAC is neither a federal agency nor part of the federal government. It is an agreement among 48 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, to provide assistance across state lines when any type of disaster occurs. The governor of the affected area must first declare a state of emergency, and then that state must request the help it needs. It is this request that triggers the response from other EMAC-member states and sets the EMAC Operations system of coordination and deployment in

If you are a state employee, you may be able to be deployed to provide assistance in the stricken areas. If you are interested, you should check directly with your state Emergency Management Agency (EMA) to determine if you are qualified. This would mean that you may well have your travel expenses covered by FEMA. If you are interested in serving, it would also be a good idea to make sure that your vaccinations are up-to-date.

Gregor Trinkaus-Randall, Chair
SAA Preservation Section