The Society of American Archivists
SAA Logo

Log in / Log out

Join SAA

Contact us


Society of
American Archivists

17 North State Street
Suite 1425
Chicago, IL 60602-3315
tel 312/606-0722
fax 312/606-0728
toll-free 866/722-7858

 


[ Register by Fax/Mail ]


AUSTIN 2009 Home

Registration Fees

Program:

Logistics:

Concierge:

Sponsors & Exhibitors

Sustainable Archives: AUSTIN 2009

Joint Annual Meeting of the Society of American Archivists
and the Council of State Archivists


Pre-Conference Programs: August 9-11, 2009
Conference Dates: August 11-16, 2009
2009 Exposition Dates: August 13-14, 2009

Early-Bird Registration Deadline: July 6, 2009
Advance Registration Deadline: July 20, 2009

Lodging & Travel Information

Hilton Austin
500 East 4th Street
Austin, TX   78701

Hotel details
Travel information


[Print this page]

Repository Tours

 

University of Texas

Alexander Architectural Archive
Dolph Briscoe Center for American History
Harry Ransom Center
The Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection
Tarlton Law Library, Jamail Center for Legal Research, University of Texas School of Law
The Kilgarlin Center for Preservation of the Cultural Record, School of Information

Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum

Texas State Capitol and Visitors Center

Texas State Library and Archives Commission

Texas General Land Office
Archives and Records Program

The Austin History Center

The Archives of the Episcopal Church

LCRA Corporate Archives

Tours of related institutions

Applied Computational Engineering and Sciences Center
KLRU Austin City Limits
The Story of Texas, The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum


University of Texas

Whether you are attending one the UT archival repository tours or not, plan to take time to walk around the beautiful UT campus. See the self guided tour brochure.

The University of Texas Tower Observation Deck
http://www.utexas.edu/tower/ provides a spectacular view of campus and Austin. During SAA, UT Tower tours are on a limited summer schedule and access to the Observation Deck is only possible via a tour. See the Tower Tours Summer Brochure: http://www.utexas.edu/txunion/ae/tower/tower_tours_summer09v1.pdf

Admission: $5.00 per person, payable by cash or MasterCard/VISA.
Reservations: 475-6633 (1-877-475-6633)
Dates and Times:
Thursdays - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm, on the hour
Fridays - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm, on the hour
Saturdays - 2:00 pm - 8:00 pm, on the hour

Location and Parking Information: The UT tower is located in the Main Building http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/mai.html
Check the Capitol Metro bus schedules at http://www.capmetro.org/riding/schedules_ut.asp 
One recommendation is the 101 N Lamar/S Congress LTD-NB line

Driving directions: http://tiny.cc/MPVHt
Parking: http://www.utexas.edu/parking/maps/visitor/visitor-map.pdf

Guidelines: These are escorted tours which last slightly less than an hour, with 35 minutes spent on the Observation deck. You won't need anything on the Deck besides a ticket-except perhaps a camera, binoculars or video recorder. You are asked to leave behind everything else, including purses, camera bags, fanny packs, and diaper bags. If you do not want to leave these items in your vehicle, you can rent a locker at The Texas Union for $1.00. Due to safety concerns, umbrellas are not permitted on the tour; however rain ponchos are available to rent for $1.00 at the Information Center in the Texas Union. Please see the complete Tour Guidelines, available at the Union Information Center, for further details

About the Texas Tower: The 307-foot tall UT Austin Tower, designed by Paul Cret of Philadelphia, was completed in 1937. Through the years, the Tower has served as the University's most distinguishing landmark and as a symbol of academic excellence and personal opportunity. The observation deck of the UT Tower offers a spectacular view of the UT Campus and the Austin area in all directions. Thanks to the cooperative effort of students, staff, and the University administration, the observation deck has recently been remodeled and reopened to the public for the first time in nearly three decades. As a part of the renovation process, persons with disabilities now also have access to this monumental view.


Alexander Architectural Archive
Charles W. Moore Room - Battle Hall room 6
Austin, TX
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/apl/aaa/
 
Repository Tours
: August 13, 2009
Times: 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 3:00 pm
Capacity: 10

For reservations and information, contact Nancy Sparrow, 512-495-4621, nsparrow@austin.utexas.edu

The Alexander Architectural Archive at the University of Texas at Austin is an architectural research center of national importance. As a unit of the University of Texas Libraries within the Architecture and Planning Library, the Archive supports research and education about the history of the built environment by acquiring and preserving research collections and by making them accessible. The Archive also supports learning opportunities and scholarly activities for students studying preservation of the cultural record and archival enterprise.
 
Directions: Located in Battle Hall on the West Mall of the University of Texas campus, directly Southwest of “the Tower”. http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/btl.html
 
Parking: Parking: Paid parking is available in the Dobie Center parking garage on the corner of 21st and Whitis and in various nearby surface lots. Information about University-operated parking garages and shuttle service routes is available online http://www.utexas.edu/maps . Limited street parking is available in the neighborhood west of Guadalupe Street. Capital Metro http://www.capmetro.org/riding/schedulesandmaps.asp offers several bus routes that stop near Battle Hall, including 1M and 1L

Restrictions: It may be difficult for those who have mobility issues to access some spaces on this tour


Dolph Briscoe Center for American History
Sid Richardson Hall, Unit 2
The University of Texas at Austin
www.cah.utexas.edu/
 
Repository Tours: August 11
Times: 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 12:00 noon, 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm (tours start at the top of each hour)
Capacity: 10
 
For reservations and information, contact Margaret Schlankey (512) 495-4537 or m.schlankey@austin.utexas.edu

Through stewardship, scholarship, and outreach, the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History increases knowledge and fosters exploration of our nation's past. As a leading history research center, we collect, preserve, and make available documentary and material culture evidence encompassing key themes in Texas and U.S. history. Researchers, students, and the public mine our collections for a wide range of academic, professional, and personal uses. Our collections also inspire our own projects, including books, exhibits, programs, films, and educational materials. The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History is an organized research unit and public service component of The University of Texas at Austin. The Research and Collections Division is located in Sid Richardson Hall Unit 2, on the main campus of The University of Texas at Austin. It is the Center's main research facility and the repository for the vast majority of the Center's book, manuscript, map, newspaper, photographic, sound, and ephemera collections. Our collecting strengths include the American South; civil rights and social justice; congressional and political history; energy and natural resources; the Archives of American Mathematics; military history; music; news media history; Texas History; touring entertainment; Western Americana; photography; and the Archives of the University of Texas. The Research and Collections Division's public services area is open to the public, Monday through Saturday. This division also regularly features exhibits of materials drawn from its research collections. Currently on exhibition:  “Rhythm: Selections from the Susan Antone Photographic Archive.” For more information about this exhibition see http://www.cah.utexas.edu/exhibits/antone/intro.php.  

Directions: From the Hilton go one block east on 4th and take a left onto Red River Street.  Continue on Red River, crossing major intersections at 15th Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard.  Park in the LBJ Library and Museum Parking Lot, located on your left about four blocks after crossing Martin Luther King Boulevard.  To avoid the construction around the Center’s building, walk from the parking lot towards “El Rey,” the full scale stone reproduction of Olmec Collossal Head No. 1. Follow the directional signs to the Briscoe Center’s front door on the west side of the building.

Restrictions – No food or drinks on the tour; large bags need to be left in the conference room where the tour begins.


Harry Ransom Center
21st and Guadalupe Streets
Austin, Texas 78712
www.hrc.utexas.edu/

Repository Tours:
August 11, 2009
Time:
10:00 am, lasting approximately two hours; please arrive by 9:45 am
Capacity:
60 (divided into 4 groups of 15); reservations required
 
For reservations and information, contact Danielle Sigler at dsigler@mail.utexas.edu

The tour will focus on digital preservation, physical conservation, public service, and archives processing efforts of the Center.

The Harry Ransom Center is an internationally renowned humanities research library and museum. Its extensive holdings provide a unique record of the creative process of writers and artists, deepening our understanding of literature, photography, film, art, and the performing arts. Thousands of scholars, students, and cultural enthusiasts  from around the world study materials from the collections each year. These collections also inspire original exhibitions and programs that offer visitors opportunity for enrichment, discovery, and delight. The Ransom Center advances the study of the arts and humanities and fosters an environment where culture thrives.

Directions: The Ransom Center is located at the northeast corner of 21st and Guadalupe Streets on The University of Texas at Austin campus. http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/hrc.html
 
Parking: Paid parking is available in the Dobie Center parking garage on the corner of 21st and Whitis and in various nearby surface lots. Information about University-operated parking garages and shuttle service routes is available online www.utexas.edu/maps. Limited street parking is available in the neighborhood west of Guadalupe Street. Capital Metro www.capmetro.org/riding/schedulesandmaps.asp offers several bus routes that stop near the Ransom Center, including 1M and 1L


Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection
Sid Richardson Hall, Unit 1
The University of Texas at Austin
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/benson/

Repository Tours: August 11
Times: 11:00-12:00, 1:00-2:00
Capacity: 15

For reservations and information contact Christian Kelleher at 512-495-4581 or kelleher@mail.utexas.edu

The Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection, a unit of the University of Texas Libraries, is a specialized research library focusing on materials from and about Latin America as well as Latinos in the United States. Named in honor of its former director (1942-1975), the Nettie Lee Benson Collection contains almost 1 million books, periodicals, pamphlets, and microforms; 5,000 linear feet of manuscripts; 20,000 maps; 11,500 broadsides; 200,000 photographs; and 50,000 items in a variety of audiovisual media. Initially endowed with a superb collection of rare books and manuscripts relating to Mexico, the Benson Collection now maintains important holdings for all countries of Latin America with special concentrations on the countries of the Río de la Plata, Brazil, Chile, Peru, and Central America. The Mexican American Library Program, a department of the collection established in 1974, has gathered extensive research materials in all subject areas related to Latino culture in the U.S. Researchers from the U.S. and abroad have been attracted to this remarkable resource through the last eight decades, coming to consult materials accumulated from all parts of the world, in many languages, dating from the fifteenth century to the present. Items featured during the tour will include relaciones geográficas from the original survey of Spanish New World holdings in the 1570s and 1580s, the first books published in North America known as the Mexican incunabula, General Antonio López de Santa Anna's handwritten memoirs (with only a cursory mention of the Alamo!), original manuscripts from Argentine writer and national icon Julio Cortázar, and the papers of noted Chicana poet and theorist Gloria Anzaldúa, among many more.

Currently on exhibit at the Benson Collection is "A Viva Voz!: The Art of Carmen Lomas Garza". As part of the Benson Collection's initiative to collect archives documenting the Chicano art movement, the current exhibit features original prints by Lomas Garza and highlights her books and archives in the collection. View art from the exhibit online at http://www.lib.utexas.edu/benson/clg/.

Directions: Located next door to the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, at the south end of Sid Richardson Hall next to the LBJ Presidential Library. http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/srh.html Free parking in the LBJ Library and Museum Parking Lot



Tarlton Law Library, Jamail Center for Legal Research, University of Texas School of Law
727 E. Dean Keeton St.
Austin, TX 78705-3224
tarlton.law.utexas.edu/

Repository Tours: August 11
Times: 10:00-11:30 am and 2:00-3:30 pm
Capacity: 10

For reservations and information, contact Elizabeth Haluska-Rausch (512) 232-3802

The Tarlton Law Library is distinguished in a number of ways:

  • the Library is the 7th largest academic law library in the country, with physical collections containing over a million volumes and electronic collections providing access to millions more titles;
  • the Library is the largest academic law library facility in the country, occupying over 167,000 square feet;
  • the Library's staff numbers over 30 individuals, many with both law degrees and graduate degrees in information science; and,
  • the Law Library is a leader in the provision and publication of electronic legal resources - our digital libraries, current awareness services, and online bibliographies have been recognized nationally.

The Library serves an academic community of 1500 full-time law students and over 100 faculty members. We also welcome members of the University community and members of the public to use our facility, resources, and services. The staff is happy to provide reference and research assistance, as well as guidance in using the collection.

Library collections are comprehensive in terms of American law. The Library also collects extensively in foreign and international law and in several interdisciplinary areas of study.

Location and Parking: The Law School complex consists of three interconnected buildings that are located on the northeast side of The University of Texas at Austin campus near the intersection of Dean Keeton St. and Robert Dedman Dr.--Jesse H. Jones Hall, Townes Hall, and the John B. Connally Center for Justice. The Library is located in Jesse H. Jones Hall.

Rare Books and Special Collections: Room 6.219, 6th Floor, Tarlton Law Library

Driving Directions

Going north on IH 35:

  • Stay in one of the two left-hand lanes after passing through downtown.
  • Exit on “Dean Keeton/32nd-38th½” (exit number 236).
  • Quickly cross two lanes of the access road to the right-hand exit to Dean Keeton St.(also known as 26th Street).
  • Turn right onto Dean Keeton St. and drive under IH-35.
  • Pass through two traffic lights (Red River and Robert Dedman).
  • The Library is the tall white building on your left between Robert Dedman and San Jacinto St.

Going south on IH 35:

  • Stay in one of the two left-hand lanes after passing exits for highways 183 and 290.
  • Remain on the left, lower level side of the interstate when it splits at the Airport Blvd.
  • Exit at 32nd St.
  • Go straight through the traffic light at 32nd St. and continue to Dean Keeton St.(26th St.)
  • Pass through two traffic lights (Red River and Robert Dedman).
  • The Library is the tall white building on your left between Robert Dedman and San Jacinto St.

Parking: Public parking is available in the San Jacinto Parking Garage(SJG) and along Dean Keeton St. Parking rates and other visitor parking information is available at: http://www.utexas.edu/parking/visitor

Restrictions - No food, water, or ink  in Special Collections.


The Kilgarlin Center for Preservation of the Cultural Record, School of Information
1616 Guadalupe (our new address as of July 28, 2009)
www.ischool.utexas.edu/kilgarlin/about.php

Conservation Lab Tours: August 11
Times: 10:00-11:00 and 1:30-2:30
Capacity: 15 per tour

For reservations and information, contact Ann Seago (512) 471-8290 or aseago@mail.utexas.edu)

The William and Margaret Kilgarlin Center for Preservation of the Cultural Record, part of the University of Texas at Austin School of Information, advances the preservation of the record of human experience, creativity, and discovery through education, research, and outreach.

Today the amount of information documenting human work, creativity, and thinking increases at a staggering rate, especially in the sea of digital records created daily. This growth means that, more than ever before, we must carefully select and preserve those critical records that constitute our documentary heritage. The record of human endeavor can be found in a wide range of media: in books, on magnetic tape and parchment, and in film and photographs, to name only a few. Increasingly, people record information digitally, a format that provides uniquely challenging preservation issues. How do we preserve for future generations the range of record materials, especially those concentrated in libraries and archives, that constitute our legal, social, scientific, artistic and personal endeavors? With a $1m gift from former Supreme Court of Texas Justice William Wayne Kilgarlin the School of Information has established the William and Margaret Kilgarlin Center for Preservation of the Cultural Record. The Center builds on the School's renowned graduate education program in preservation administration and conservation, actively focusing national and international attention on preservation issues by conducting research, sponsoring symposia, and convening expert thinking on broad, timely, interrelated topics that address the management of our documentary heritage.

Directions: Our address is 1616 Guadalupe, 1 block north of 15th Street.  There is metered parking on Guadalupe and on the side streets adjacent to the building.  Please check in at the guard station as you enter the building.


Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum

2313 Red River St.
Austin, TX 78705
johnson.library@nara.gov

Repository Tours: August 11
Times: 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm, and 2:00 pm
Capacity: 15

For reservations and information, call the LBJ Reading Room (512) 721-0212 or send an email to laura.eggert@nara.gov 

The Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum is one of eleven presidential libraries administered by the National Archives and Records Administration. The library houses forty five million pages of historical documents which include the papers from the entire public career of Lyndon Baines Johnson and also from those of close associates. These papers and the vast administrative files from the presidency are used primarily by scholars. The museum provides year-round public viewing of its permanent historical and cultural exhibits. Special activities and exhibits are sponsored by the Friends of the LBJ Library and its parent organization, the LBJ Foundation. The permanent museum exhibits highlight President and Mrs. Johnson and public policy in the 1960s.

Directions: One block west of I-35 (between MLK and 26th Street) http://www.lbjlib.utexas.edu/johnson/museum.hom/directions.shtm

Free parking


If you are touring the Texas State Library and Archives Commission or the Texas General Land Office Archives and Records Program, consider making time to visit the Texas State Capitol and the Capitol Visitors Center for total immersion into Texas government history.

Texas State Capitol and Visitors Center

112 East 11th Street
Austin, Texas
512-305-8400
www.austincityguide.com/content/texas-capitol-tours.asp

Capitol Tours: FREE
Mon - Fri 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Sat 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
Sun Noon - 3:30 pm

About Texas Capitol Tours
Free Texas Capitol tours are available daily and feature information about the Capitol, Texas history and the Texas legislature. To begin a tour, visit the Capitol Information and Guide Service, located in the restored Treasurer's Business Office on the first floor of the Capitol. Tours are generally 45 minutes in length. The Capitol is closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Easter. Tours are available during the following hours:

Literature for self-guided tours is available in English, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish. To request a guided foreign language tour, please call for availability. Reservations for groups of 10 or more should be made in advance by calling 512.463.0063.

About the Texas State Capitol
The Texas Capitol is an extraordinary example of late 19th century public architecture and is widely recognized as one of the nation's most distinguished state capitols. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1986 for its "significant contribution to American history."

Sited on one of Austin's highest points, the Capitol anchors the northern periphery of the downtown commercial district and commands a sweeping view towards the Colorado River from its southern façade. The main campus of The University of Texas at Austin is situated four blocks to the north. Wonderful views of the Capitol's dome from many vantage points throughout the Austin area are protected from obscuration by state law.

Completed in 1888 as the winning design from a national competition, the Capitol's style is Renaissance Revival, based on the architecture of 15th-century Italy and characterized by classical orders, round arches and symmetrical composition. The structural exterior is "sunset red" granite, quarried just 50 miles from the site. Additional structural support is provided by masonry walls and cast iron columns and beams.

In 1993, the $75 million underground Capitol Extension was completed to the north of the Capitol, doubling the square footage available to Capitol occupants and providing much improved functionality. In 1995, a comprehensive interior and exterior restoration of the original building was completed at a cost of approximately $98 million. Finally, in 1997, the park-like grounds surrounding the Capitol were given a much needed $8 million renovation and restoration.

Capitol Visitors Center
The Capitol Visitors Center is housed in the historic 1856 General Land Office and features interactive exhibits and films about Capitol and Texas history. Visitors can also pick up free Texas maps and travel information as well as view great Texas-themed products in the Gift Shop. The Visitors Center is open seven days a week with free admission.

Directions to the Texas Capitol
The front entrance of the Capitol is located at the intersection of Congress Avenue and 11th Street. Public Parking is available in the Visitors Parking Garage located at 12th and San Jacinto Streets. First two hours of parking are free.

 


Texas State Library and Archives Commission

Lorenzo De Zavala State Archives & Library Building
Capitol Complex, 1201 Brazos St., Austin, Texas
http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/

Repository Tour: August 11, 2009
Time: 3:00-4:00
Capacity: 20

For reservations and information, contact: Laura Saegert, 512-463-5500, laura.saegert@tsl.state.tx.us.

The Texas State Archives preserves and documents the heritage and culture of Texas by identifying, collecting, and making available for research the permanently valuable official records of Texas government, as well as other significant historical resources. Maintaining the official history of Texas government, the State Archives includes archival government records dating back to the 18th century, as well as newspapers, journals, books, manuscripts, photographs, historical maps, and other historical resources. By these records, all three branches of Texas government are accountable to the people. Taken together, the holdings of the Texas State Archives provide a historical foundation for present-day governmental actions and are an important resource for Texas studies.

The Texas State Library and Archives Commission is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year. The act creating the Texas Library and Historical Commission became effective March 19, 1909, when Governor Thomas M. Campbell signed the bill that created and directed the new agency to aid and encourage public libraries and collect materials related to Texas history.

Directions

Walking: Exit the Hilton Hotel on the 5th Street side, turn left, and walk about 4 blocks west to Congress Avenue. Turn right and head north on Congress toward the State Capitol Building, which will be about six blocks. When you get near the Capitol, look to the right and you will see a long rectangular building with six flags flying in front—the Lorenzo de Zavala State Archives and Library Building. Come in the main doors and the tour will begin in the main lobby.

Driving and Parking: From the hotel, proceed east on 5th Street about two blocks to Trinity Street. Turn left, and proceed to 12th Street, and take another left on to 12th. On your right will be the Capitol Visitors Parking Garage. Enter, and take the ticket. The first two hours of parking are free. You will see the rear of the de Zavala building directly across from the parking garage. Walk to the front of the building and enter the main lobby.


Texas General Land Office
Archives and Records Program

1700 North Congress Avenue
Suite 130
Austin, Texas 78701-1495
www.glo.state.tx.us/archives/archives.html

Repository Tours: August 11 and 12, 2009
Times: 8 am, 10 am, 2 pm, and 4 pm.
Capacity: 20

For reservations and information, contact Mark Lambert at Mark.Lambert@glo.state.tx.us or (512) 463-5260.

The Republic of Texas Congress established the Texas General Land Office in 1836 shortly after Texas won its independence from Mexico.  It opened for business in 1837 and is the oldest state agency in Texas. The first duty of the Land Commissioner was to collect all records of Spanish and Mexican land titles, locate them on maps so as to avoid future conflicts, and then start issuing new land titles to the soldiers who fought in the Texas Revolution and to the new settlers then streaming into the Texas Republic. Texas later entered the United States in 1845 by Joint Annexation Agreement, and thus was able to retain all of its unappropriated public lands (public domain). By virtue of its having been a province of Spain, and then having secured its own sovereignty as an independent Republic for ten years, Texas is the only coastal state to have a three marine league limit (10.35 miles) instead of a three-mile limit over its territorial waters and “submerged” lands. The Spanish units of measurement, the vara, the league (legua) and the labor are also still official units of measurement in Texas.

The General Land Office (GLO) was originally responsible for managing the public domain by collecting and keeping records, providing maps and surveys and issuing land titles. Since then the GLO's duties have evolved, but its core mission is still the management of state lands and mineral-right properties totaling 20.3 million acres. Included in that portfolio are the beaches, bays, estuaries and other "submerged" lands out to 10.35 miles in the Gulf of Mexico, institutional acreage, leases for oil and gas exploration, grazing lands in West Texas, timberlands in East Texas, and commercial sites in urban areas throughout the state.  

The GLO's Archives and Records Program houses original Spanish, Mexican, Republic of Texas and State of Texas land grants and associated documentation as evidence of the public domain passing out of governmental control and into private hands.  These records date back to 1720 and include 35.5 million documents and over 10,000 maps. These records hold continuing legal value as the foundation for the vested property rights for every inch of land in Texas, as well as being highly valuable for surveyors, historians, and genealogists. The Archives and Records Program has a staff of 28 including an eight person digital scanning lab that has placed over 1.6 million scanned documents including over 1,000 maps onto the GLO website.

Normal security procedures apply and please limit the amount of belongings you bring.

Directions:  The Texas General Land Office is in the Stephen F. Austin State Office Building, part of the state capitol complex.  The Stephen F. Austin Building is at the north end of the state capitol complex, one block south of the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum.  The best access is from the north by using Martin Luther King Blvd. (formerly 19th Street), which runs East-West in Austin through I-35, Guadalupe Blvd and Lamar Blvd (all major North-South thoroughfares in Austin). From MLK Blvd. turn south onto Congress Ave. and go two blocks. The Stephen F. Austin Building is a pink granite high-rise building on the right just past the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum. Enter the east side of the building, sign in at the security desk and the archive is on the left.

Parking: Parking is available at meters around the building and at meters anywhere in the capitol complex. Covered paid parking is available next door at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum, one block north of the Texas General Land Office. Entrance to the parking garage is from a one-way street going west on 18th street. The parking garage is beneath the museum.


The Austin History Center

810 Guadalupe
Austin, TX
www.ci.austin.tx.us/library/ahc/

Repository Tours: August 11
Times: 10:00 am, 12:00 pm, and 2:00 pm
Capacity: 10

Repository tour includes docent led tour of exhibit

For reservations and information, contact Daniel Alonzo (512) 974-7386

As the local history collection of the Austin Public Library, the Austin History Center provides the public with information about the history, current events, and activities of Austin and Travis County. We collect and preserve information about local governments, businesses, residents, institutions, and neighborhoods so that generations to come will have access to our history. The collection started in 1955 as the "Austin-Travis County Collection," a 2-drawer filing cabinet in the Reference Department and has grown to encompass over 7000 linear feet of archives and manuscript material, 1,000,000 images, 1,000 maps, 50,000 videos, and much more. The collection is housed in the original 1933 library building, an Italian Renaissance style building designed by Hugo Kuehne and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

On August 11, a new exhibit opens at the AHC: "Not a Museum: Your Story, Your Archive - The Austin History Center." This exhibit will explore what the AHC is, what we do, how we do it, and highlights some of important collections, such as the O. Henry Collection, Governor E. M. Pease Papers, Jane McCallum Papers, and more. The Exhibits Coordinator will give guided tours of the exhibit.

A map and directions to the AHC can be found at: http://www.austinlibrary.com/apllocations.cfm?acronym=ahc

Parking information can be found at: https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/library/parking.htm


The Archives of the Episcopal Church

606 Rathervue Place
Austin, TX 78705
512-472-6816
http://episcopalarchives.org/

Repository Tours: August 11, 2009, at 9:30 am and 2:00 pm; August 12, 2009, at 2:00 pm
Capacity: 10-15 people each

For reservations and information, contact David Hales, Administrative Deputy at 512-472-6816 or dhales@episcopalarchives.org

The Archives of the Episcopal Church maintains its central historical records repository in Austin for records of the Church in the United States and abroad. The Archives manages both the official Church records and special collections of personal papers, published works on the Episcopal Church and records relating to its dioceses and parishes. The Archives also directs the Records Management program for the Church’s central governing bodies and corporate headquarters in New York City. Digital archives and electronic records are other components of the staffing and resource management carried out by the Archives.

The Archives of the Episcopal Church is also sponsoring a reception/open house for Archivists of Religious Collections Section and their friends at St. David's Church, adjacent to the site of the proposed new archives in downtown Austin. While primarily targeted to ARCS members, others are able to attend with RSVP. 

Directions: The Archives of the Episcopal Church is located on the campus of the Episcopal Seminary of the Southwest in central Austin. From the Hilton, you can take the No. 7 bus.  Get on the bus at Congress and 4th. Get off at the Duval “College Court” stop at Duval /Bellevue Street stop.  

Parking is available in a lot at the corner of 32nd St. and Duval Ave. You can access this lot from 32 St.


LCRA Corporate Archives

3701 Lake Austin Blvd
Austin, TX 78703
www.lcra.org/about/overview/history/

Repository Tour: August 11, 2009
Time: 3:00 - 4:00 pm
Capacity: 15

For reservations and information, contact Dixie Wells or Jean Flahive (512) 473-3296 or (800) 776-5272, ext 3296, archives@lcra.org

LCRA is a conservation and reclamation district created by the Texas Legislature in 1934. It has no taxing authority and operates solely on utility revenues and fees generated from supplying energy, water and community services. LCRA supplies low-cost electricity for Central Texas, manages water supplies and floods in the lower Colorado River basin, develops water and wastewater utilities, provides public parks, and supports community and economic development in 58 Texas counties.

The LCRA Corporate Archives preserves and manages the operating records and other materials of historical value necessary to document the LCRA’s origin and development over time, including its policies, purposes, philosophy, employees, services, and performance. The Archives provides access to these materials for historical research and to meet the needs of the LCRA and its customers.   

Directions: Located at 3701 Lake Austin Blvd. in the Jack Miller Building in the LCRA General Office Complex, across the street from the main buildings. See http://www.lcra.org/about/maps/goc.html Visitor parking is on the same side of the street, down the hill to the left of the entrance. Meet in the lobby.

Capital Metro Bus: Take the #9 Enfield/Travis Heights bus. Plan for about a 21 minute ride, there are no transfers. Depart at the 3506 Enfield Road stop. Walk to Lake Austin Blvd and cross the street to the Jack Miller Building. See the Capitol Metro Transit site for more information: http://www.capmetro.org/

Follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/lcra_archives and Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcra_corporate_archives/


Tours of related institutions

Applied Computational Engineering and Sciences Center (ACES Building)
TACC Visualization Laboratory
201 E 24th Street (24th and Speedway)
ACES Bldg, 2.404a (located on the first floor)
http://www.aces.utexas.edu/

Repository Tour: August 12
Time: 2:00-3:00 pm
Tour Capacity: 30

For reservations and information, contact Faith Singer-Villalobos (512) 232-5771

The TACC Visualization Laboratory (Vislab) is a newly renovated, 2,900-square-foot space that houses state-of-the-art technology. It is home to “Stallion,” the world’s highest resolution tiled display--a system that features 75 high-resolution Dell 30” displays, arranged in 15 columns of five displays each. Each display has a resolution of 2560x1600 for a combined total of 307 million pixels. The next largest tiled display is a 14x5 display (70 monitors) at the University of California San Diego with nearly 287 million pixels. Visit us to see Stallion and other technology in action while hearing from TACC’s data and visualization specialists how this technology is used to further science.

Directions: Applied Computational Engineering and Sciences Center is located on The University of Texas at Austin main campus. http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/ace.html

Parking: Park in the San Jacinto Parking Garage (http://www.utexas.edu/parking/parking/visitor/index.html) which is a short walk from the ACES Building. Or, ask the guard if there is visitor parking available near the ACES Building.


KLRU Austin City Limits Studios
2504-B Whitis Ave (The intersection of Dean Keeton and Guadalupe)
Austin, TX
http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/

Tour: August 12
Time: 1:00 pm
For reservations and information, contact Melinda Curley (512) 473-3518

Directions and Parking: The KLRU Austin City Limits Studio is located on the corner of Guadalupe and Dean Keeton Street. Maps: http://klru.org/about/map.html and http://tiny.cc/pt4hF

See Capitol Metro for bus routes http://www.capmetro.org/riding/schedules_ut.asp

Meet in the KLRU lobby and the tour will start from there.

Austin City Limits has done what no other television series has done in the history of American television. Inspired by the music scene that continues to thrive in Austin, Texas, the show has, for 33 years, presented viewing audiences with live concerts from many of the world's most acclaimed, accomplished and pioneering talent. And while other televised concert shows have come and gone ACL has consistently provided musical artists the platform of a nationally televised performance, in an intimate concert setting, with a straightforward production style. This format is what enables ACL to attract such a stellar lineup of performers year after year.

 


The Story of Texas - The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum
1800 N. Congress Avenue
Austin, TX
http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/the_museum/about.html

BEHIND THE SCENE TOURS (NO CHARGE for the SAA tour)

Wednesday, August 12, 2009
10:00 a.m.; 1:00 p.m.; 3:00 p.m.
Maximum 10-12 per tour

For Reservations call 512-936-4649 and request reservations for the SAA tours on August 12. There is no charge for the SAA tour.

About the Bullock Museum

The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum in downtown Austin, Texas, tells the “Story of Texas” with three floors of interactive exhibits, the special effects show, The Star of Destiny, in the Texas Spirit Theater, and Austin's only IMAX Theatre, featuring the signature large-format film, Texas: The Big Picture. A 35-foot-tall bronze Lone Star sculpture greets visitors in front of the Museum, and a colorful terrazzo floor in the Museum’s rotunda features a campfire scene with enduring themes from Texas’ past. The Museum also has a Cafe with indoor and outdoor seating and a Museum Store with something for the Texan in everyone. The driving force behind the creation of the Texas State History Museum was former Lieutenant Governor Bob Bullock. The Museum is a division of the State Preservation Board

Location (Two blocks north of the Texas capitol)
The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum is located at 1800 N. Congress Avenue at the intersection of Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. in downtown Austin, Texas. With close proximity to Interstate Highway 35 and MoPAC Expressway (Loop 1), the Museum is easy to access. http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/visit/parking_and_directions_general.html

Parking Information: There is a pre-pay charge of $8 at the garage. The fee covers full day parking (no re-entry). Visitors to the Museum will receive a $2 rebate when they purchase Museum and/or Theater tickets, a Membership, or make a $5 purchase in the Museum Store, provided that they present the cashier with their parking ticket. The Cafe does not offer rebates on parking.

General information about the museum in case you want to go on your own:

Museum Hours and Fees
Monday through Saturday 9 am – 6 pm
Sunday 12 – 6 pm
(512) 936-8746 or for ticket reservations (512) 936-4649
Exhibit Areas: $7.00 – http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/the_museum/exhibits.html
IMAX Theatre: $7.00 – http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/showtimes/imax_theatre.html
Texas Spirit Theater: $5.00 – http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/showtimes/spirit_theater.html


 

Last updated on: July 29, 2009

[Print this page]